nuke the leuk

nuke the leuk
Supported by the Lotus 7 Club

Monday 29 December 2008

Nagging Doubts



After last nights BBC 2 viewing aimed at petrol heads, ‘Top Gear Vietnam Special’ and ‘The Real Italian Job’ with Chef James Martin I have been hit by those waves of doubts whether 2600 miles in a Caterham is such a good idea.

Jezza, The Hamster and Captain Slow took up the Top Gear challenge of riding knackered motor bikes and a moped 1000 miles from South to North Vietnam, at the end having to covert there bikes into boats for the final leg. Thankfully I won’t have to convert the 7 into a boat as Brittany Ferries will take on the challenge of getting me home from Spain to the UK in comfort and style.

At the end of the program my confidence for this trip was brimming over if they can do a1000 miles on those old bikes on terrible roads then 2600 in a 7 across beautiful EU funded roads should be no problem.

However I then watch ‘The Real Italian Job’ with Chef James Martin who entered the famous ‘Mille Migglia’ a 1000 mile rally around Italy for classic cars. His budget was considerably greater than mine buying an £800,000 1948 Maserati, and having a man in a van with loads of spares and mechanic to boot, not forgetting his very attractive co-driver Sarah. This is something I had not thought about though I’m sure both my wife Kate and the Bishop would have something to say if I zoomed off on my pilgrimage with a very attractive blond navigator. Then there would be the problem of where to hide her when I was staying at Monasteries. I will just have to settle with the warm female voice of my Tom Tom sat nav, at least she will know the way!

Sadly despite James’ huge investment, back up team, dishy blond and a rather snazzy 1930 white driving cap, [which I will get] he only completed 200 miles of the race before his engine blew and it was all over. There’s nothing worse than seeing a grown chef cry.

I therefore went to bed with the little voices in my head saying if he can’t do 200 miles in a classic car with all the kit what chance have I in my little 7 on my own, with only a spare accelerator and clutch cable, a roll of aluminium tape and a multi tool pen knife. I thought of the embarrassment of returning to the parish 3 days after I had set off because to car had packed in.

Then I remembered who actually was going to be my co-driver on this adventure the main man the Supreme Being, God of God’s Lord of Lord’s the one and only JC. He may not be able to fix an oil leak though I hope would direct me to some good catholic mechanic who would and encourage me along the way. That reminds me better pack a dog collar; it always helps in those situations. In any case Mary made it from Nazareth to Bethlehem 9 months pregnant and on a donkey [the BBC had to use 9 you know] so what have I got to worry about.

1 comment:

  1. Have confidence and faith, you'll do it. You might have a sore bum afterwards, but hey - small price to pay

    Go frit!

    ReplyDelete